Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A day late to the craze: Bacon Vodka

Reading up on some of my favs, I stumbled across this on Brownie Points, Bacon Vodka. While not an avid bacon lover, I do see the appeal. My favorite quote on it "Well I would have to say reminds me of drinking vodka martinis all night long and then ending up at some greasy spoon and ordering the bacon with your breakfast."

Not the worst review. And easy enough for me to want to try at home. I think what I like the best is the idea of small kits of vodka tasters... now that's a birthday gift you can really enjoy!

Bacon Vodka

makes up one pint

Fry up three strips of bacon.
Add cooked bacon to a clean pint sized mason jar. Trim the ends of the bacon if they are too tall to fit in the jar. Or you could go hog wild and just pile in a bunch of fried up bacon scraps. Optional: add crushed black peppercorns.
Fill the jar up with vodka. Cap and place in a dark cupboard for at least three weeks. That’s right- I didn’t refrigerate it.
At the end of the three week resting period, place the bacon vodka in the freezer to solidify the fats. Strain out the fats through a coffee filter to yield a clear filtered pale yellow bacon vodka.

Decant into decorative bottles and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. My roommate actually worked up a batch of this a while back. I have to say, I find it preferable to ordinary, non-bacon vodka (vegetarian vodka?), though possibly that would not hold up in larger quantities. It's a tough call. It is kind of fundamentally gross, but it's also kind of fundamentally awesome.

    ReplyDelete