Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jenny was a friend of mine...

Flashback: The first time I saw the Killers was at the Winter Music Festival in 2006 in Miami on my 3rd Spring Break of the season. 3 you might ask? Yes I'm a lucky dog.

I spent the week before the NYU spring break bumming around Florida with my bff L and her friend J, learning the ins and outs of partying in South Beach, to riding with the "bikers" (no L, not hot Lance Armstrong bikers) to finding the balance of suntan lotion, tanning oil and a well perfected system of oven timer baking for that golden sunkissed tan that would make my fellow pasty new yorkers jealous.

The second was spent on my school spring break partying it up in NYC while the town was empty of those pesky students and full of spring breakers of our own. A perfect time for a great one-night-stand (Although alas no juicy stories to fill in here as I was still embroiled in a massive Pride and Prejudice-esq scandal. Don't worry Little M, you were totally my Darcy)

Then after I think it's all over, my friend I & C give me an offer I can't refuse. Take the G5 down to Miami for a weekend jaunt to see the Killers, Hot Hot Heat, DJ Tiesto, rock our brains out, relax at Trump's Mar-A-Lago and basically cap the best 3 weeks of my life thus far.

After waiting at the airport for 3+ hours (there was a storm delaying our travel) and 1 bottle of Ciroc later, we were on our way to sunny sunny FL once again. The Killers were brand spanking new, having only released Hot Fuss thus far & I'd memorized every single one of their songs since they were featured on one of the great cancelled too young shows, LAWKI. I've been a fan ever since.

Now we flash forward to 2009. Sam's Town and Day & Age have been released. They've got the perfect combo of Spirited Rocker and Radiowave Success and they're headlining Coachella! I have to say, even though they were amazing this time around, nothing will ever beat the first time, lying on the grass, swaying with friends & looking up at the stars while they crone out Jenny was a friend of mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment